Mountain Mondays

Mountain Mondays

The bear shadow (picture above) appears in October and November at the Rhodes Big View Overlook for Whiteside Mountain between Highlands and Cashiers, North Carolina. By this time of year, it looks more like a dog (we think), but find it fascinating that it only appears in the Fall and is only visible later in the day for those few months.

This past weekend was the first time we had been in the mountains since the beginning of November. The temperatures were in the 20’s, it had been raining the past week and it really looked like Winter had already set in.

There were also a number of pretty awesome ice sculptures that had formed. We saw shapes of certain things in some of them. I will be curious to see if you notice them, too.

Have a wonderful week!

12 Responses to “Mountain Mondays”

Denise@There's a Newf in My Soup! — December 6, 2010 @ 12:19 pm

Burrrrr! Hope you stayed warm and cozy most of the weekend! Agree the shadow looks more like a dog, but people are always referring to my dog as a bear. Any cooking planned this week?

• bunkycooks replied: — December 6th, 2010 @ 12:26 pm

That is true…your dog does look like a bear! :) Cooking, well…I am going through some recipes now. I need to bake some cookies and get into the Christmas mood over here at the Bunkycooks! We don’t need to eat the cookies, so I need to fine some skinny neighbors that can enjoy them for us! I know you are cooking something good….always!

blackbookkitchendiaries — December 6, 2010 @ 1:39 pm

your pictures are truly amazing! i really love it.

sippitysup — December 6, 2010 @ 4:02 pm

I totally see the bear! How cool. Nature is so inspiring. Thanks for this little lift. GREG

Devaki @ weavethousandflavors — December 6, 2010 @ 8:08 pm

These pics are priceless…….those icycles, WOW! Thanks for sharing these, Gwen :)

Ciao, Devaki @ weavethousandflavors

Drick — December 6, 2010 @ 8:57 pm

let’s see, the first pic is definitely not a bear, maybe a sock puppet and the other ice pics in order – ribbons, man hugging his children, roses in bloom, totem poles, Niagara falls, and the last one, because I am associated with the gulf, a Portuguese man of war…. (maybe it’s the bourbon, Gwen, but this is what I see)… word of note, I an not too clever at an art gallery either….

• bunkycooks replied: — December 8th, 2010 @ 4:07 pm

Hi Drick,

Sounds like you have a pretty good eye, to me. We thought of some different things, but I definitely can see what you have captured!

Gwen

Monet — December 7, 2010 @ 4:28 pm

Goodness…those icicles are just gorgeous! I’m missing my mountain winters here in Austin. So I’m terrible with “seeing” images in clouds or in ice, but I think there is a man in the second picture? Thank you so much for sharing. I hope you have a festive Tuesday!

• bunkycooks replied: — December 8th, 2010 @ 4:08 pm

Hi Monet,

We saw a couple dancing in that one, so definitely a man…it is fun to hear what other people see. Thanks for guessing! :)

Gwen

Nancy/SpicieFoodie — December 7, 2010 @ 8:37 pm

Chilly but such beautiful photos. Thanks for sharing them.

Kim at Rustic Garden Bistro — December 8, 2010 @ 3:46 pm

I DO see images in the ice!!!!! Very cool bear / dog shadow. :)

[K]

Priscilla - She's Cookin' — December 9, 2010 @ 6:19 pm

That is so cool! But I think it looks like a dog, too :)