Wild Hibiscus Mojitos and Happy New Year!

Happy New Year!!  I am sure many of you are ready to see the clock turn over to 12:01 am tomorrow morning and welcome in 2012!

I leave this year behind with mixed emotions.  It has been a great year for Bunkycooks and we have met so many incredible people on our journey.  It has been a life changing experience for both of us.  Yet, I also wonder where the road will lead next, so there is some anticipation of things to come.

Mr. B made an anniversary video showing the places we have been and the people we have met over the past year, so you can visit that post if you are interested in our 2011 recap.  I also did a post highlighting some of our favorite recipes of 2011, so I hope you will revisit some of those dishes.

Muddle the Wild Hibiscus Flowers with lime slices, mint and crushed ice

I have chosen a nontraditional cocktail to usher in the New Year.  While many of you are sipping on champagne cocktails, I made Wild Hibiscus Mojitos! We recently returned from a little island hopping vacation, so I still have mojitos on the brain.  I am wishing that I was still in that luxurious warm and sunny weather sitting by the pool, but alas, I am in Atlanta and it has been a bit dreary.  Maybe these mojitos will bring a little sunshine into everyone’s New Year!  By the way, I will be sharing those travel adventures with you starting next week. :)

The Wild Hibiscus Flower Company has been a sponsor of Bunkycooks for quite some time and we really appreciate their support.  Started in 1997, it is a small family owned & operated company in Sydney, Australia.  Their very nifty little flowers in syrup are excellent in a number of drinks and dishes.  They are beautiful when popped into a glass of champagne or Proseco.  They make for a very festive cocktail hour, especially on New Year’s Eve!

Mix together the fresh lime juice, white rum and Wild Hibiscus syrup

In this drink, chopped Wild Hibiscus Flowers are muddled with fresh lime slices, mint and crushed ice.  You then combine fresh lime juice, white rum and Wild Hibiscus syrup in a cocktail shaker.  Poured over the muddled mixture, then topped with a splash of Club Soda, this cocktail has the perfect amount of sweetness combined with the tartness of the lime.  This has become a favorite in our home.

We wish you all a very healthy, happy and prosperous New Year and may all your wishes and dreams come true in 2012!

Cheers and Happy New Year!

Cheers!

Wild Hibiscus Mojitos

Yield: 2 servings

Prep Time: 5 minutes

Total Time: 5 minutes

Ingredients:

3 oz white rum
1 oz fresh lime juice
1 1/2 ounces Wild Hibiscus Syrup
2 chopped Wild Hibiscus Flowers
2 halved lime wheels
2 Stems mint
Soda water

Directions:

1. Fill a glass with crushed ice (preferably a high ball glass)

2. Muddle in 1-2 stems of mint, lime wheels and chopped Hibiscus Flower.

3. Add rum, syrup & lime juice to a cocktail shaker and shake for 10 seconds & strain1/2 mixture into the glass. (The original recipe calls for shaking the mixture with ice, but I prefer it without.)

4. Top with soda water and garnish with mint.

Recipe courtesy of Wild Hibiscus Flowers in Syrup

20 Responses to “Wild Hibiscus Mojitos and Happy New Year!”

Brian @ A Thought For Food — December 31, 2011 @ 11:02 am

Can’t think of a better way to start 2012! Happy New Year!

• Gwen replied: — December 31st, 2011 @ 11:05 am

Yes indeed! Happy New Year and maybe we will meet in 2012!

Marnely Rodriguez — December 31, 2011 @ 11:46 am

I definitely LOVE Wild Hibiscus and have tried to make my own from dried flowers, to no avail. Such a fantastic product and love the floral flavor it imparts!

• Gwen replied: — December 31st, 2011 @ 1:12 pm

Yes, it is a great product and perfect for special occasions, just like today! Happy New Year and best wishes for a great 2012!

Winnie — December 31, 2011 @ 12:00 pm

LOVE this beautiful cocktail!!! Hope 2012 brings all good things, and that I get to see you again :)

• Gwen replied: — December 31st, 2011 @ 1:13 pm

Hi Winnie,

Thank you and I wish you the best in 2012, too! I do hope we meet at one of the conferences again this year.

Gwen

Denise@There's a Newf in My Soup! — December 31, 2011 @ 9:49 pm

Looks like a very festive cocktail to bring in the New Year! We’re sipping on a bottle of sparkling Shiraz, making a pot of soup, and another couple Fregolottas. Quiet evening, and I’m sure we won’t make it until midnight. Wishing you and Roger a very Happy New Year. I can feel good things coming your way! Hope we can meet up again in 2012.

Jen at The Three Little Piglets — December 31, 2011 @ 10:48 pm

What a gorgeous drink! May this coming year bring you nothing but joy! Happy New Year.

Biren @ Roti n Rice — January 1, 2012 @ 1:13 am

That’s a beautiful cocktail! Happy New Year and Best Wishes for 2012!

marla — January 1, 2012 @ 8:40 am

Such a pretty mojito Gwen! Happy new year to you too :)

Simply Tia — January 1, 2012 @ 5:30 pm

Beautiful cocktail!!!

Happy New Year!

Susan in the Boonies — January 1, 2012 @ 11:49 pm

That picture is a WOW!!!

Happy New Year!

My friend, unaware that I had won that ice cream maker, got me wonderful ice cream cookbook as a Christmas present. Today, my dear husband made Black Coffee Ice Cream, where we steep the freshly ground coffee in warm cream, in our new ice cream maker.

I suspect this ice cream maker is going to get quite a workout in the New Year!

Thank you so much, once again.

Lisa — January 2, 2012 @ 3:25 pm

OMG, those hibiscus mojitos are beautiful! So sparkly and refreshing – definitely rings of new beginnings and bright and shiny happiness – with a nice side of ‘tipsy’ lol. I loved the anniversary video..great job, Mr. Bunky! Wishing you the best 2012 ever. Gwen! xo

Monet — January 2, 2012 @ 5:56 pm

Oh what a great cocktail recipe! Thank you for sharing with me. It is approaching dinner time, and something like this sweet drink would be perfect! I hope you are doing well and enjoying this first week in the New Year!

Steve @ the black peppercorn — January 3, 2012 @ 6:11 pm

Happy New Year to you as well! I wish you a wonderful 2012. I look forward to reading your posts this year as I have in the later half of 2011 when I found your blog. Check out mine sometime when you have the chance.

anh@anhsfoodblog.com — January 5, 2012 @ 6:48 pm

This cocktail looks so lovely!

sippitysup — January 6, 2012 @ 12:24 pm

It’s a year to sparkle and shine! Happy 12 2 U! GREG

shaiana — March 19, 2012 @ 7:54 pm

This dish really looks appetizing… Just like Gourmandia, this site also provides good recipes… A real dish with a kick!

Brian @ A Thought For Food — January 1, 2013 @ 9:19 am

Well, I can already tell that I’d adore this mojito! Love that color.

Hope you and mr. B have a happy and healthy 2013!

Brian @ A Thought For Food — January 1, 2013 @ 9:26 am

HAHAHA! Ok… I’m crazy. I not only didn’t see that this was a 2011 post, but i also ALREADY commented on it! Well, here’s my third comment. Oy.